Mixed-media Art Journal Page
If you're like me, you collect art and inspiration prompt cards. I have a whole basket full! My favorites include the Mixed-media Inspiration Deck by Kiala Givehand, Art Sparks Creative Project Deck by Karen Friedland, and the Creative Whack Pack by Roger von Oech.
I've also collected a list of art prompts for several years and then created my own deck of inspiration cards. I painted large sheets of Canson Mix Media Paper with paint, stamping, words and all of my favorite techniques. After cutting the large sheets into cards, I added a prompt to each one. When I'm stuck for ideas or ready for a challenge, I shuffle the cards and follow the prompts. It's a lot of creative fun!
During this LIVE HowToGetCreative show called Drama-free Friday, the viewers were great at helping me design and create this art journal page in an old recycled calendar. I absolutely loved the collective process of creating together! I highly recommend that you try it with some arty friends.
Before the show, I painted both sides of the page with White Gesso to prepare the paper for whatever might get added to it.
- The first prompt card said, “Grab junk mail to use for the background.” I chose old security envelopes because of the interesting patterns and colors.
- The next card said, “Use 3 adjacent colors on the color wheel and then add a complementary color as an accent.” I chose blues and purples and yellow for the accent.
- Next, “Paint hot pink circles.” That was easy!
- Next, “Stamp a pattern.” I chose a circle stamp and added a white border on 3 sides of the page.
- Last, “Draw a huge heart and fill it with things that make your heart happy.” That was great because the viewers contributed so many wonderful happy suggestions.
If you enjoy using prompt cards, I'd love to hear how you use them. Leave a comment below and tell me about it.
Please join me at 2pm Eastern for our LIVE Drama-free Friday show. It happens every week! See you next week??
Until next time ~
Remember to Get Creative today! It's easy!