20 - items
- Audio Book – NORMAL Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (6 CD set) 1 x $25.00
- eBook – Mandala Melange v2.0 6 x $15.00
- Cards – Mandala Madness, Inspiration Cards Deck 3 x $27.00
- eBook – Creating Faces: Needle Sculpting from the Beginning 4 x $19.00
- eBook – Mandala Medley 6 x $15.00
- View All 20 Items
Show Your Work! by Austin Kleon – Book Review by Barb
We are so fortunate these days to have the benefit of social media to easily share what we create. With Instagram, Twitter, FaceBook, Pinterest, etc., we can share our creations so quickly. No need to set up a studio camera or develop and print pictures that have to be mailed to publications in hopes that maybe the art will be shown one day. Just grab a phone, snap a quick photo and upload it. Amazing! The key is to do it!!
One of my new favorite books is Show Your Work! by Austin Kleon. It’s another book I’ve highlighted and made notes throughout because it’s jam packed with one thought-provoking gem after another. In his second book, (Steal Like an Artist was the first) Austin clearly details 10 ways to share your creativity and get discovered:
- You don’t have to be a genius.
- Think process, not product.
- Share something small every day.
- Open up your cabinet of curiosities. (My favorite chapter!!)
- Tell good stories.
- Teach what you know.
- Don't turn into human spam.
- Learn to take a punch.
- Sell out.
- Stick around.
Austin turns each of these topics into a chapter that’s easy to read and digest. It wasn’t a quick read for me, however, because I had to think about the way the each concept applied to me. I love books like this for that exact reason! Anything that twists my brain around in a different direction moves to the top of my book pile. 😉 In fact, I carry it with me when I leave the studio in case I get stuck waiting somewhere. 🙂
In my opinion, Austin Kleon's second book, Show Your Work! is another winner! It's “smack your head” obvious,and super enlightening. I recommend it and give it 2 big thumbs up
Please join me for the next episode of Drama-free Friday which will happen Friday, December 1st at 2pm Eastern.
Until next time ~
Remember to Get Creative today! It’s Easy!